Oil massage benefits
Best massage oils
Oil massage benefits
In addition to contributing to the success of a massage session, oil massage benefits are:
- nourishes the skin
- makes it breathe
- gives it elasticity and softness
Among the usual massage products, oils are the most commonly used. Based on fruits, seeds or other parts of a plant, perfumed or not, their benefits on the body both physical and psychological are certain.
In addition, massage oil allows hands to slide easily and gently over your body.
How to choose your massage oil
Be careful: if an oil contains traces of alcohol, it means that it is no longer a vegetable oil, but an oil that contains parabens. Parabens are preservatives chemically obtained to remove the presence of water in cosmetics for better preservation, they can be a cause of sterility and breast cancer.
The choice of oil to be used for the massage plays a crucial role according to the expected results. It must contribute to free the blockages and tensions by bringing deep well-being while you are being massaged.
Choose a natural and pure massage oil
A massage oil must be a pure virgin vegetable oil (sunflower, sweet almond, grapeseed), extracted by manual or mechanical cold pressing, as opposed to refined oils which are extracted by solvents, then refined to remove residues left by solvents.
Use essential oils
In addition, it is possible to cut the oil with an essential oil, in order to perform a massage with scented oil.
It should be noted that some essential oils have an antioxidant function, and can therefore play the role of "natural preservatives".
Good to know: an essential oil is an active product that does not apply directly to the skin.
Concerning essential oils, they have different benefits depending on their origin.
Precautions should therefore be taken when choosing oils to use in pregnant or breastfeeding women.
Several criteria can then be taken into account
- the choice depends on the massage, the expected result and the personal tastes of each person
- the smell is often an important parameter of choice, as it must contribute to the relaxation of the massage and its comfort, hence the importance of essential oils.
- the texture of the oil also plays a major role, because an oil that is too greasy, too fluid or too creamy in appearance may interfere with the proper application of the massage.
- the penetration capacity of each massage oil is often different.
Depending on your needs, you can choose an oil that takes longer to penetrate the skin or the other way around.
How to use oil during a massage session
Massage oil can be used in different ways.
Indeed, it can be applied directly to the skin without mixing it with other products.
However, depending on the body area to be massaged and the desired objective, the massage therapist can adapt the ingredients of the massage oil:
- Camphor cream is suitable for large muscle groups such as thighs, because it is a semi-fatty body (unlike oil, which is a fat body). On the other hand, camphor is not never used for the face, we prefers to use a lotion, fluid, light, and which does not leave an oily film (indeed, the skin of the face being already oily naturally, it is necessary to avoid adding an oily substance to it).
- Ideally, a neutral base should be used, i.e. a mixture of different vegetable oils that can be balanced with each other (e. g. sunflower + olive + sweet almond).
In France, grapeseed oil is often used as a massage oil; it is a very good oil, but it is dry because it penetrates quickly.
On the other hand, olive oil is never used alone in massage, because it is too fatty. However, it can also be used as a neutral base to control the sliding film: the more olive there is in the base, the less quickly it will penetrate.
How to apply a massage oil
- First, it is necessary to heat the hands by rubbing them and coating the palm with a little oil.
- The oil should then be gradually applied to the surface of the skin, following the movement prescribed by the massage applied.
Before proceeding with a specific application, the first touch must allow the area to be heated. Only then can the real massage begin.
Oil massage benefits
More oil massage benefits are:
- they nourish the skin thanks to the active ingredients they contain
- relax the muscles by bringing freshness and soothing
- sculpt the silhouette thanks to their purifying action; this is why it is recommended to follow a dietetic diet in parallel with the massage, in order to eliminate more quickly the excess of fatty masses, particularly cellulite.
- massage oils help to rehydrate and firm the skin.
Do you like this page?
Share it with your friends on Facebook.
Have a comment?
Didn't find what you were looking for?
Use this search feature to find it.